Carob Avocado Mousse
How to use your carob powder for an easy avocado mousse that satisfies your chocolate craving without the sugar and caffeine. This recipe is a Gluten-Free, Vegan and refined sugar free dessert.
VEGAN & SUGAR-FREE CHOCOLATE DESSERT
I have always been a big fan of carob. I love the flavor that makes it so distinct. To expect a real chocolate flavor from carob is asking too much of a legume.
Though when you taste carob in desserts, it does have a similar taste to beloved chocolate. But for me, it’s better.
A HEALTHY TREAT TO BEAT CRAVINGS
This dessert is a great alternative when you are looking for a vegan chocolate mousse. This is a great way to try carob for the first time.
WHAT IS CAROB?
It is a legume, grown in the Mediterranean area. The pods are often imported, ground and roasted in the United States.
If you can get your hands on the fresh pods, enjoy them right out of your hands (they are like a chewy date).
Where you really see the difference between chocolate and carob is when you look at the nutrient density. Let’s talk about the benefits.
MEDICINAL BENEFITS OF CAROB
- Excellent source of calcium, containing three times more than a glass of milk
- Extraordinary rich source of potassium
- Has key nutrients like vitamin A, B and other minerals
- Contains protein, 8% per serving
- Has significantly less fat and calories then chocolate
Unlike our beloved chocolate, it is caffeine free (so you can eat it as a late night dessert and it wont keep you up). It is naturally sweet, so you rarely need to add a sweetener when making desserts with it.
My recipe below for Carob Mousse uses just a drizzle of maple syrup, and only a pinch of stevia (for those who like their desserts extra sweet).
Who needs a multivitamin when you can have carob for dessert (just saying).
WHERE CAN YOU BUY CAROB POWDER?
You can purchase it any health foods store, right next to the cacao powders, chocolate chips and other baking items.
WANT MORE CAROB? I DO!
Check out Melissa’s Produce as the do carry fresh carob from time to time and import them into the Southern California area.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, TRY THE FOLLOWING
- Double Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Balls
- Shredded Coconut Balls Dipped in White Chocolate
- Paleo Banana Bread
If you make this recipe, please let me know. Bookmark this recipe and leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #starseedkitchen #highvibrationalfood.Print
A ‘chocolate’ flavored avocado mousse with no caffeine and added vitamins and minerals. A good reason to eat dessert first.
- 2 Ripe bananas
- 2 Ripe avocados
- 2/3 Carob powder
- 3 T Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp Stevia (or to taste)
- Using a small bowl, peal the banana and break into pieces. Smash well with a fork or potato masher. Add the avocados and do the same. Mix well till banana and avocado are incorporated. For a more smooth mousse texture, purée the mash with a hand blender or small food processor until smooth.
- Add in the carob powder slowly, in three parts, and combine well.
- Add maple syrup and continue to blend.
- Taste test, and add 1/8 teaspoon of stevia for additional sweetness, to taste.
- Transfer the mousse to individual bowls and serve. Store in the fridge until ready to eat, up to five days. Keeps well in freezer for six months.
Pair with whipped cream, cacao nibs, strawberries, caramel or fresh mint for garnish.
Keywords: healthy snack, healthy dessert, carob, avocado, banana, chocolate mousse, carob mousse, carob dessert, how to use carob
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi, I’m Whitney Aronoff, a Holistic Chef based in Laguna Beach, California. I graduated from Southern Methodist University with a degree in Communications, and went on to the health supportive culinary school, The Natural Gourmet Institute, in New York City. I work as a personal chef and teach cooking classes, with a focus on healthy, whole foods cooking.
My goal is to help people feel their best by sharing the delicious, healthy recipes I prepare weekly for my clients. I want you to have the energy to live your best life and fulfil your dreams.
As we become more conscious and make more quality food choices, our body, mind, soul and the planet benefits.