Strawberry Oatmeal Bars with Walnut Crumble
I’m sharing my delicious oat bar recipe that I developed when I was a pastry chef at a farm-to-table restaurant. This dessert was a popular treat in the take-out and coffee shop connected to the full service restaurant.
The oat bar recipe works great with any flavor of jam of your choice. Swap strawberry, blueberry, peach and other flavors seasonal.
For a more healthy take on this recipe, use my Strawberry Chia Seed Jam recipe which is made with no refined sugar.
WHAT MAKES THESE STRAWBERRY OATMEAL BARS HEALTHYISH?
These strawberry oatmeal bars are vegan thanks to the use of coconut oil.
They are gluten free, using only organic gluten free oats and oat flour. You may substitute the oat flour for gluten free flour blend or traditional flour of your choice.
I make this recipe using my Healthy Strawberry Chia Seed Jam. The strawberry jam is lightly sweetened with maple syrup and uses chia seeds as the thickener (no pectin, no citric acid, no additives).
SECRET RECIPE FROM A PASTRY CHEF
This recipe is tried and true. I prepared it every week when I spent a year working as a Pastry Chef at a farm-to-table restaurant.
These oat bars were sold at the cafe next to the restaurant, along with coffee, cookies, fresh pressed juice and other take away items.
HEALTHY STRAWBERRY RECIPES
Like this recipe? Try the following healthy strawberry recipes on Starseed Kitchen.
- Healthy Strawberry Chia Seed Jam
- Strawberry Cashew Milk
- Protein Overnight Oats with Strawberry Cashew Milk
Healthy oatmeal bars that are low sugar and made vegan with the use of coconut oil.
- 36 oz (4 ½ c) Organic oat flour (or gluten free flour of choice)
- 32 oz (4 c) Organic raw cane sugar (or brown sugar)
- 24 oz (3 c) Organic rolled oats
- 1 jar (14 oz) Coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp Sea salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 5 c Organic chopped walnuts
- 2 ½ c Healthy strawberry jam
- In a large bowl combine sugar, oat flour, rolled oats and sea salt. Stir in melted coconut oil.
- Line a large baking dish with parchment paper. Add 6 cups of the oat mixture, firmly packing the mixture into the dish to create the base. Cover with another sheet of parchment, press firmly and let chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Set remaining oat mixture aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine walnuts and vanilla extract with remaining oat mixture to make the walnut crumble.
- Remove oat bar base from the fridge. Add the strawberry jam over the oat bar base into an even layer. Top with walnut oat crumble and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Place in the fridge to firm for 1 hour. Slice into 16-20 bars. Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Make you own jam for oat bars that are more healthy. Try my Strawberry Chia Seed Jam.
Keywords: healthy oatmeal bars, vegan oat bars, oat bars low sugar, vegan oatmeal bars, oat bars with strawberry jam
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi, I’m Whitney Aronoff, a Holistic Chef based in Laguna Beach, California. I graduated from Southern Methodist University with a degree in Communications, and went on to the health supportive culinary school, The Natural Gourmet Institute, in New York City. I work as a personal chef and teach cooking classes, with a focus on healthy, whole foods cooking.
My goal is to help people feel their best by sharing the delicious, healthy recipes I prepare weekly for my clients. I want you to have the energy to live your best life and fulfil your dreams.
As we become more conscious and make more quality food choices, our body, mind, soul and the planet benefits.