French Country Vegetable Soup
With sautéed onion, carrots, celery, green beans, red potatoes, chard and a little flour to thicken the soup, just like what you would find in your French garden or country kitchen.
VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE
This French country vegetable soup recipe is fresh, casual and country. Medium dice and rough chop your vegetables for an easy recipe.
Don’t think of French fine dining and perfectly sliced vegetables when preparing this recipe. A rough chop and 1-inch size pieces are perfect for this casual country style soup.
WHY FLOUR IN A SOUP
It is typical to see flour as an ingredient in soup and stew recipes around the world. Adding flour thickens a soup, makes it more hearty, and would allow for a one-pot dish to feed more people in the family.
In this recipe, you can use the flour of your preference. I like using traditional cassava flour (it is naturally gluten free as cassava is a tuber).
SEASONAL SOUP RECIPE
I make this recipe year-round for my clients custom meal prep. It is sometimes called Spring Vegetable Soup or Late Spring Vegetable Soup.
In the fall and winter months I refer to this recipe on the menu as the French Country Vegetable Soup. Call it what you like and how it suits the season you are in.
INGREDIENTS FOR A FRENCH COUNTRY VEGETABLE SOUP
For this recipe, you will need the following:
Flour of choice (such as cassava)
- Use a ceramic pot for cooking soups. Ceramic is non-toxic and non-reactive. The best type of material for soups, stews and slow cooked food. Starseed Kitchen recommends Le Creuset, Staub and Xtrema Pure Ceramic Cookware.
- Learn more about non-toxic and ceramic cookware in our Starseed Kitchen Podcast episode 19 with Xtrema Pure Ceramic Cookware
- Use seasonal ingredients. Feel free to substitute vegetables to what is fresh and available in your area, just as if you were in the French countryside.
IF YOU LIKE THIS VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPES, TRY THE FOLLOWING
- Red Lentils Soup With Spinach & Carrot
- Smoky White Bean & Collard Greens Soup
- Vibrant Thai Green Chicken Curry
- Erewhon Market Style Mighty Greens Soup
- Green Curry Lentils with Kale & Coconut Milk
French country vegetable soup recipe with onion, carrots, celery, green beans, red potatoes and chard just like from your French garden.
This recipe is fresh, casual and country. Medium dice and rough chop your vegetables for an easy recipe.
- 1 yellow onion, medium diced
- 3–4 celery ribs, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2–3 carrots, chopped into half-moons
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp good quality butter
- 2 Tbsp organic flour of choice (such as cassava flour)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5–6 red potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups of green beans, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch of green chard, chopped (stems included)
- In a soup pot, add olive oil, onion, celery and carrot under medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes as onion becomes translucent.
- Add butter and stir to melt. Sprinkle flour, stir to combine with vegetables. Add sea salt, potatoes and 6 cups of filtered water, stir vegetables to make sure flour combines. Bring to a boil, then to a rolling simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add green beans and chard. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, till green beans and potatoes are soft and soup has thickened.
- Serve immediately or store in glass containers in the fridge for one week. Freeze to enjoy at anytime.
Use seasonal ingredients. Feel free to substitute vegetables to what is fresh and available in your area, just as if you were in the French countryside.
Keywords: french soup, vegetable soup, spring soup, fall soup, winter soup, french country soup, country soup, late spring soup