Marinated Moroccan Beef Short Ribs
You will want to make this dish over and over again for the smell alone.
Marinated beef short ribs in turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg for a unique North African inspired meal. This recipe is Paleo, Gluten Free and Lectin Free.
WHAT ARE MOROCCAN SPICES
North Africa has a deep spice trade heritage. Nothing can compare to the smells and colors in the famous souks of Marrakech in Morocco. I had the pleasure of shopping in the souk’s years ago. The piles of colorful spices where breathtaking.
Traditional Moroccan and North African dishes are shakshuka, tagines, and couscous. Those recipes use a similar spice mix.
For this recipe, you will be using the following spices.
- Black pepper
HOW TO BUY BEEF SHORT RIBS
This recipe calls for bone-in beef short ribs. If the butcher asks what size you want, suggest each rib is 3-4 inches long.
Each short rib equates to one serving. This recipe allows for you to adjust your serving size from four to six servings as desired.
BRAISED VERSUS SLOW COOKED SHORT RIBS
This recipe uses both the techniques of braising and slow cooking. Technically, you can refer to these short ribs as braised or slow cooked.
Braising is the cooking method of browning meat in oil, then cooking it in a small amount of liquid in a tightly covered pan or Dutch oven. You will be doing this technique using the oven, cooking at a low temperature over a long duration.
Slow cooking is also cooking food, such as meat, for a long duration but doesn’t always involve searing and browning.
You will get better flavor using a Dutch oven or ceramic pot versus an electric slow cooker machine. There are many reasons for this. I suggest you try both ways and see which version you like the best.
HOW TO SERVE THIS DISH
This recipe creates a delicious sauce that should be absorbed by simple sides. I serve it with the following:
- Blanched or steamed green chard
- White or brown rice
- Traditional mashed potatoes or parsnip mashed potatoes
This recipe was inspired by The Spice House, a great source for organic and well sourced spices, herbs and blends online. After making their recipe time and time again I put together my own take on this dish.
For maximum flavor, marinate beef short ribs for 24 hours.
Serve with blanched (or steamed) green chard, brown rice or mashed potatoes to soak up the sauce. Garnish with chopped fresh flat leaf parsley.
If you think your oven’s temperature is off and cooks at a lower temperature, adjust the heat to 350 degrees. Check pot after 2 hours of cooking. Your short ribs are ready when they are falling off the bone.
If using an electric slow cooker, such as an Instant Pot, cook the short ribs on the high setting, which will be about 300 degrees. Cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, TRY THE FOLLOWING
- Easy Chicken Xacuti Curry
- Paleo Lamb Meatballs
- Herbs De Provence Whole Roast Chicken
- Perfect Meal Prep Salmon
- Vibrant Thai Green Chicken Curry
Marinated bone-in beef short ribs with North African spices of turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
This recipe is full of antioxidants from the marinade and is suitable for paleo, gluten free and lectin free diets.
FOR THE MARINADE
- 4–6 bone-in beef short ribs, each 3-4 inches in length
- ½ cup organic red wine
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp organic ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp organic ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp organic ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp organic ground coriander
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon
- 1 tsp organic nutmeg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
FOR COOKING SHORT RIBS
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup celery, small diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, small diced
- 1 ½ cups beef bone broth
- 2 large carrots, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 2 parsnips, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- Prepare marinade by mixing spices together. In a large bowl add olive oil, red wine, spices and whisk well. Add short ribs, coat meat, and chill for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a Dutch oven heat olive oil and brown meat on all sides. Set aside. Add celery and onion to the pot, on medium heat and cook till soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and remaining marinade liquid to the pot, bring to a boil. Add short ribs, cover pot with lid. Bake for 1 hour. Add carrots and parsnips, stirring to incorporate. Bake for an additional 1 ½ hours (for a total of 2 ½ hours). Serve in a bowl with blanched greens, brown rice, or mashed potatoes as desired. Garnish with fresh parsley.
For maximum flavor, marinate beef short ribs for 2 hours or overnight for 24 hours.
Serve with blanched (or steamed) green chard, brown rice, couscous or mashed potatoes to soak up the sauce. Garnish with chopped fresh flat leaf parsley.
Keywords: braised short ribs recipe, slow cooked short ribs recipe, how to make moroccan spiced short ribs, marinated moroccan spiced beef short ribs recipe