Marinated bone-in beef short ribs with North African spices of turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
This recipe is full of antioxidants from the marinade and is suitable for paleo, gluten free and lectin free diets.
FOR THE MARINADE
- 4–6 bone-in beef short ribs, each 3-4 inches in length
- ½ cup organic red wine
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp organic ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp organic ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp organic ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp organic ground coriander
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon
- 1 tsp organic nutmeg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
FOR COOKING SHORT RIBS
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup celery, small diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, small diced
- 1 ½ cups beef bone broth
- 2 large carrots, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 2 parsnips, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- Prepare marinade by mixing spices together. In a large bowl add olive oil, red wine, spices and whisk well. Add short ribs, coat meat, and chill for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a Dutch oven heat olive oil and brown meat on all sides. Set aside. Add celery and onion to the pot, on medium heat and cook till soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and remaining marinade liquid to the pot, bring to a boil. Add short ribs, cover pot with lid. Bake for 1 hour. Add carrots and parsnips, stirring to incorporate. Bake for an additional 1 ½ hours (for a total of 2 ½ hours). Serve in a bowl with blanched greens, brown rice, or mashed potatoes as desired. Garnish with fresh parsley.
For maximum flavor, marinate beef short ribs for 2 hours or overnight for 24 hours.
Serve with blanched (or steamed) green chard, brown rice, couscous or mashed potatoes to soak up the sauce. Garnish with chopped fresh flat leaf parsley.
Keywords: braised short ribs recipe, slow cooked short ribs recipe, how to make moroccan spiced short ribs, marinated moroccan spiced beef short ribs recipe