Shredded Fennel Salad with Zesty Adobo Chicken
This recipe is a personal favorite. It is what I pack most days for lunch. I mix up the protein addition, but the main ingredients always stay the same.
I hope you enjoy this fresh and healthy meal as much as my clients and I do.
A SALAD FOR MEAL PREP
This recipe is what you can find me meal prepping for myself on Sunday nights. It’s easy to set up 4 containers and make what I need to get me through the week.
I use the large Pyrex glass container, both the round and rectangle sizes. I also like W&P ceramic Porter Bowl for meal prep . Both are great at keeping your food fresh, easy to organize in the refrigerator and makes grabbing lunch to-go a breeze.
I make a large batch of salad dressing for the week, and store in two small jars to make it easy to transport.
HOW TO MAKE A RESTAURANT QUALITY LUNCH
The secret to this dish is using a mandolin. That is the easiest and most consistent way to get your shaved fennel and thinly sliced red cabbage.
Most food processors come with an attachment for shaving and shredding vegetables. You can experiment with that but I find it more cumbersome.
I use the OXO Simple Mandolin. It will be your favorite kitchen accessory. You will use the first two setting on the mandolin for this salad. Try both settings to see how thin or thick you prefer your food.
WHAT IS ADOBO SPICE
Adobo literally means “seasoning” or “marinade” in Spanish. It’s a light, zesty blend of dried herbs and spices including garlic, onion, black pepper, oregano, bay leaf, and turmeric.
Use Starseed Kitchen’s organic Adobo with extra turmeric and anti-inflammatory spices. This spice blend has more turmeric than other brands.
This is a custom spice blend by High Vibration Foods for Starseed Kitchen. Created by a Holistic Chef, Whitney Aronoff.
Enjoy Adobo seasoning on everything. Spice up your chicken, fish, eggs, tofu and vegetables. Delicious on chicken, fish, diced tofu, roasted cauliflower, potatoes, scrambled eggs and more.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN WHEN YOU DON’T HAVE A GRILL
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Season chicken well and place on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
Bake small chicken breasts for 25 minutes, large or oversized chicken breasts for 35 minutes.
To insure your chicken cooks all the way through, season and let sit on the baking sheet for 30 minutes before cooking. This way the chicken isn’t ice cold from the refrigerator, ensuring you will get moist chicken breast.
When making a salad with pre-washed lettuce greens, give them a rough chop before putting in your salad bowl. Smaller lettuce pieces makes it easier to eat.
After shaving your fennel on a mandolin, slice the shavings in half before tossing with your greens.
Fresh herbs are the key to great flavor. Feel free to use as much fresh mint, parsley or cilantro in this recipe as you have available. Dill works too.
I love this salad with a dollop of my Parsnip Mashed Potatoes on top.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, TRY THE FOLLOWING
- Whipped Lemon Vinaigrette
- Butter Lettuce Salad
- Smoky Blue Cheese Dressing
- Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette
- Everyday Detox Cilantro Dressing
Shredded Fennel Salad with Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Gluten Free
Thinly shaved fennel and red cabbage makes for an upscale lunch at home. Finish with an easy homemade batch of Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette and grilled chicken for a balanced healthy meal.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens or 5 oz container
- 1 fennel, fronds removed (1 cup shredded)
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded (1 cup shredded)
- 1/8 red onion (1/4 cup)
- ½ cup fresh herbs, such as mint, parsley, and cilantro
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp Starseed Kitchen Adobo Spice Mix
- Whipped Lemon Vinaigrette
- Crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Preheat grill on high. Season chicken evenly with spice mix. Grill on medium high for 10 minutes, turning halfway through. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare salad by rough chopping mixed greens and place equally in two salad bowls. Using a mandolin, shave fennel bulb on the first or mini setting of your mandolin, along with the red onion. If slicing with a knife, slice ¼ inch thin or thinner. Slice fennel shreds in half and toss with greens.
- Shave the red cabbage on second mandolin setting for ¼ inch slices. Mix with greens and fennel. Add fresh mint, parsley, dill, or cilantro. Lightly toss with Whipped Lemon Vinaigrette. Finish with sliced chicken breast. Garnish with avocado, feta or goat cheese if desired. Holds well for meal prep for 5 days.
- When making a salad with pre-washed lettuce greens, give them a rough chop before putting in your salad bowl. Smaller lettuce pieces make it easier to eat.
- After shaving your fennel on a mandolin, slice the shavings in half before tossing with your greens.
- Fresh herbs are the key to great flavor. Feel free to use as much fresh mint, parsley or cilantro in this recipe as you have available. Mix herbs or use just one. Dill is a nice option too.
Keywords: shaved fennel salad, shredded fennel salad, fennel salad with chicken, fennel salad with herbs, fennel salad with mint, fennel salad with dill, fennel salad with parsley, fennel salad with cilantro, grilled adobo chicken, zest adobo chicken, adobo chicken salad
Thank you for reading. Follow Starseed Kitchen on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for more Starseed Kitchen inspiration.
Leave a Reply