Creamy Coconut Millet
Millet is a small grain and great substitute for polenta (corn meal). I enjoy preparing it as a side dish or main dish for my clients.
When following a recipe that calls for a side of creamy polenta, consider this recipe that is Vegan, Gluten-Free and Lectin-Free. I use full fat coconut milk and vegetable broth as the flavor agents in place of milk, cream and butter you find in other recipes.
Enjoy this healthy grain side for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Or prepare for your weekly meal prep.
WHAT IS MILLET
Millet is a small grain, that looks similar to quinoa, but with a bright yellow color. In the US, millet refers to the ‘proso’ variety. In Europe and Asia you can find five different varieties of the grain.
Millet is an ancient grain. It is frequently noted in the New Testament, was consumed during the Roman Empire and into the Middle Ages.
The oldest written text that mentions this grain is 2800 BC. It references the five sacred crops in China as rice, soybeans, barley, wheat and millet.
I love millet recipes and am always applying new ways to incorporate this health grain into my clients menus.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF MILLET
- Naturally gluten-free and high alkaline, making it easy to digest
- Rich in amino acids, high protein (for a grain) & high iron content
- Rich in phosphorus and B vitamins
- Support kidney, stomach and spleen
TOPPING YOUR MILLET POLENTA
This dish works great as a breakfast porridge to replace oatmeal, or as a grain side dish to accompany any lunch or dinner entrée.
When enjoying creamy coconut millet for breakfast, enjoy with these toppings.
- Slivered almonds, pecans or walnuts
- Ground flax seed
- Flax seed oil
- Hemp seeds
- Coconut shreds
- Banana slices, fresh berries, pineapple or mango
MAKE IT FOR MEAL PREP
Planning to make this for lunch or dinner? This is how I pair creamy vegan coconut millet for my client’s custom meal prep.
- Roasted vegetables with kale pesto
- Blanched kale and roasted rainbow carrots
- Blanched rainbow chard and seared tofu spears
- Cajun shrimp and grilled vegetables
- Grilled chicken, zucchini and squash
- Pork tenderloin and asparagus
Want a creamier finish? Add 2 additional cups of vegetable broth or water.
Still want it more creamy? Then use a hand immersion blender to puree till smooth.
Making this for meal prep? Reserve 1/8 cup of leftover broth to use when reheating on the stove.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, TRY THE FOLLOWING
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pies
- Quick Lemon Brussels Sprouts
- Braised Fennel with Greek Olives & Thyme
- Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- Butter Lettuce Salad with Smoky Blue Cheese Dressing
If you make this recipe, please let me know. Bookmark this recipe and leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #starseedkitchen #highvibrationalfood.Print
Creamy Vegan Coconut Millet
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegetarian
Millet is a small ancient grain, gluten-free and a great substitute for polenta (corn meal). Try this creamy vegan version in just 20 minutes.
- 1 c millet, rinsed
- 1 cans organic coconut milk, full fat
- 2 c vegetable broth, bone broth or water
- ¼ tsp seal salt
- Rinse the millet in a fine mesh strainer and transfer to a small pot. Toast on medium heat till excess liquid has evaporated.
- Add coconut milk, broth (or water) and sea salt. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 20 minutes, turn off the heat, cover pot and set aside for 10 minutes so the grain absorbs excess liquid.
- Serve warm with vegetables or store for meal prep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Want a more creamy consistency? Add an additional cup of broth or water. Want even creamier, then puree with a hand immersion blender to make a smooth, creamy millet polenta.
- Reserve leftover broth and use it when reheating the millet on the stove for meal prep.
- Want more creamy? Use only 2 cans of coconut milk instead and only 1 cup of broth or water.
Keywords: millet, creamy millet, gluten-free grain, coconut millet, coconut polenta, creamy vegan polenta, cream vegan millet, millet polenta, millet porridge, millet recipes
Thank you for reading. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for more Starseed Kitchen inspiration.
Leave a Reply