Thinly shaved fennel and red cabbage makes for an upscale lunch at home. Finish with an easy homemade batch of Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette and grilled chicken for a balanced healthy meal.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens or 5 oz container
- 1 fennel, fronds removed (1 cup shredded)
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded (1 cup shredded)
- 1/8 red onion (1/4 cup)
- ½ cup fresh herbs, such as mint, parsley, and cilantro
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp Adobo Spice Mix
- Whipped Lemon Vinaigrette
- Crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Preheat grill on high. Season chicken evenly with spice mix. Grill on medium high for 10 minutes, turning halfway through. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare salad by rough chopping mixed greens and place equally in two salad bowls. Using a mandolin, shave fennel bulb on the first or mini setting of your mandolin, along with the red onion. If slicing with a knife, slice ¼ inch thin or thinner. Slice fennel shreds in half and toss with greens.
- Shave the red cabbage on second mandolin setting for ¼ inch slices. Mix with greens and fennel. Add fresh mint, parsley, dill, or cilantro. Lightly toss with Whipped Lemon Vinaigrette. Finish with sliced chicken breast. Garnish with avocado, feta or goat cheese if desired. Holds well for meal prep for 5 days.
- When making a salad with pre-washed lettuce greens, give them a rough chop before putting in your salad bowl. Smaller lettuce pieces make it easier to eat.
- After shaving your fennel on a mandolin, slice the shavings in half before tossing with your greens.
- Fresh herbs are the key to great flavor. Feel free to use as much fresh mint, parsley or cilantro in this recipe as you have available. Mix herbs or use just one. Dill is a nice option too.
Keywords: shaved fennel salad, shredded fennel salad, fennel salad with chicken, fennel salad with herbs, fennel salad with mint, fennel salad with dill, fennel salad with parsley, fennel salad with cilantro, grilled adobo chicken, zest adobo chicken, adobo chicken salad