Butter Lettuce Salad
A healthy salad with a smoky twist. Enjoy a delicate butter lettuce salad layered with black lentils, cherry tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, red onion, parsley, and basil, drizzled with a smoky blue cheese vinaigrette.
It sounds decadent, but lemon juice and white wine vinegar make this vinaigrette light and bright.
THE SECRET INGREDIENT
Smoky blue cheese is hard to find. Yes, it does exist. You can find it from time to time at a specialty market such as Gelson’s, Bristol Farms or Whole Foods. If you can find it, definitely use it in this salad and dressing. If not, no need to stress. Smoky olive oil will do the trick.
Smoked olive oil is the key ingredient. Keep this stocked in your pantry. You can get it on Amazon, or at most Sur La Table and Williams-Sonoma stores.
I use The Smoked Olive by Sonoma Smoked Olive Oil. This brand offers a naturally wood smoked olive oil made from California olives. The unique smoking process preserves the flavors and integrity of the olive oil and does not expose the oil to light or heat, there by preserving the oil’s freshness and shelf life.
ADD YOUR PROTEIN
I’ve been making this meal for my vegetarian clients meal prep for the past two years. All my recipes are well tested by my clients before I share it with you.
I add black lentils for protein, size and color contrast. I always think of how a protein ingredient will look when considering what to add to a meal to make it complete.
In this case, my clients are getting protein from the blue cheese and the beluga lentils. If beans or legumes don’t work for your digestive system, try the following with this meal.
- Grilled Chicken or Steak
- Diced Turkey Breast
- Salmon or Arctic Char
- Halibut or Sea Bass
BOSTON LETTUCE OR BUTTER LETTUCE
Same same but different. The names for this light, delicate lettuce is interchangeable. How they are referenced is regional.
I prefer the pre-washed butter lettuce as it is firmer and denser. Some people prefer the light, feathery leaves of using the whole head. Choose your preference as both are delicious. Or try both and taste test to see what you prefer.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, TRY THE FOLLOWING
- Earthy Vegetarian White Bean Chili
- Curried Cauliflower Couscous Salad
- Citrus Green Lentils
- Grilled Corn Mexican Salad
- Cilantro Avocado Dressing
If you have a mandolin, shave your red onion on the mini, or most thin setting. Mandolin the red radishes as well.
I love this affordable OXO Simple Mandolin. I take it with me to all my clients homes. It is worth purchasing. You will use this kitchen tool more then you can imagine.
If the taste of red onion is too sharp for you, soak in water for 20 minutes before adding to the salad.
If you make this recipe, please let me know. Bookmark this recipe and leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #starseedkitchen #highvibrationalfood.Print
A great salad for a dinner party or your weekly meal prep. Butter lettuce layered with black lentils, cherry tomatoes, diced cucumbers, fresh herbs and a magical smoky blue cheese dressing.
FOR THE DRESSING
- ¼ c white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ medium shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp water
- ¼ cup smoked olive oil, such as Sonoma Smoked
- ¼ cup organic crumbled blue cheese
FOR THE SALAD
- 2 heads butter lettuce (or 2 bags of pre-washed)
- ½ small head of radicchio
- 2 cups cooked blacked lentils
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 medium ripe Haas avocado, cubed
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, de-seeded and small diced
- ¼ red onion, sliced thin or use a mandolin
- 4 red radishes, sliced thin or use a mandolin
- ½ cup fresh, flat leaf parsley leaves
- ½ cup fresh basil, chiffonade into 1/2 inch piece
- Additional blue cheese and black pepper to garnish
- For the dressing. Add the white wine vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, sea salt, pepper, and water to the blender. Blend on high till shallot and garlic are incorporated. Slowly drizzle in smoked olive oil. Add blue cheese and pulse till incorporated but still chunky. Set aside.
- Tear butter lettuce and radicchio into bite size pieces and add to a large bowl. Add sliced tomatoes, diced cucumbers, radish, parsley, basil. Toss lightly with dressing. Distribute into 4 salad bowls.
- Top each salad with ½ cup lentils, diced avocado, and additional blue cheese crumble to garnish. Top with additional parsley and basil as desired.
If you have a mandolin, shave your red onion on the mini, or most thin setting. Mandolin the red radishes as well. If the taste of red onion is too sharp for you, soak in water for 20 minutes before adding to the salad.
Keywords: butter lettuce salad, bib lettuce salad, boston lettuce salad, lentil salad with blue cheese, blue cheese vinaigrette, smoky blue cheese dressing, smoky blue cheese vinaigrette, healthy blue cheese dressing
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi, I’m Whitney Aronoff, a Holistic Chef based in Laguna Beach, California. I graduated from Southern Methodist University with a degree in Communications, and went on to the health supportive culinary school, The Natural Gourmet Institute, in New York City. I work as a personal chef and teach cooking classes, with a focus on healthy, whole foods cooking.
My goal is to help people feel their best by sharing the delicious, healthy recipes I prepare weekly for my clients. I want you to have the energy to live your best life and fulfil your dreams. As we become more conscious and make more quality food choices, our body, mind, soul and the planet benefits.