Purple Mashed Sweet Potatoes
This will be your favorite purple sweet potato recipe. It may convert you away from traditional mashed potatoes forever. It’s is also good for you.
A vibrant and healthy alternative to traditional mashed potatoes. This Purple Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe is high in vitamins A and C.
PURPLE MASHED POTATOES
As a health supportive chef, I am always looking for alternative starches to balance my client’s meals. I cook for many people with are grain-free, gluten-free or are simply low carb.
This dish works for all my client’s dietary restrictions. The secret ingredient is actually the ghee, which provides a richness that makes you feel like you are having creamy mashed potatoes.
There is no milk, cream, sour cream or dairy in this recipe as in traditional mashed potatoes recipes. Just 5 healthy ingredients for purple mashed potatoes.
The purple sweet potatoes are naturally sweet, and the combination is beyond delicious.
PURPLE SWEET POTATO NUTRITION
The sweet potato is actually not related to the potato or to the yam. They come in a variety of shapes, from long and thick to round and stubby.
Because of their health benefits, they make for great paleo mashed potatoes or a lectin free mashed potato alternative.
MEDICINAL BENEFITS OF SWEET POTATOES
- An excellent source of carotenoid antioxidants
- A great source for stabilizing blood sugar levels and improving the response hormone to insulin
- Considered one of the most nutrient dense vegetables
- In Oriental medicine, sweet potatoes are valued for tonifying chi, blood, and yin energies
- Nourishes the spleen, stomach, kidney, and large intestine
- Helps quench thirst
- Relieves constipation and lubricates a dry condition
- High in vitamins A and C, with a fair amount of thiamine
HOW DO I FIND PURPLE SWEET POTATOES
You can buy purple sweet potatoes year-round at most health food stores. There are 300 types of sweet potato varieties, and many types of the purple varieties.
You may see them with purple skin, dark red skin or white skin. Just ask the produce manager for guidance. They can always slice one open to insure you are getting a sweet potato with purple flesh.
The sweetness and flavor of purple sweet potatoes change depending on the variety. Keep trying the different types of purple sweet potatoes till you find your preference. Expect the following:
- Dark purple skin with dark purple flesh has a mild sweetness and an earthy flavor
- Dark red skin with bright purple flesh will be sweet
- White skin and lavender flesh inside and a delicate sweetness
In Southern California, I purchase them year-round at Whole Foods Market, Mothers Market and Erewhon Market. You can find them seasonally at Trader Joes.
When making this for your weekly meal prep, reserve ½ cup of additional cooking liquid. Use it when reheating your mash during the week. I prefer to reheat food on the stove. For this dish add ¼ cup of the liquid to a pan, stir in with potatoes and reheat on a low temperature till potatoes are warm.
Make these mashed potatoes vegan and dairy free with olive oil in place of the ghee. You may also use coconut oil. I prefer using Skinny Coconut Oil as it has a smoother flavor, no coconut smell and more locked in nutrients from the cold-press processing.
IF YOU LIKE THIS PURPLE MASHED POTATOES RECIPE, TRY THE FOLLOWING VEGETABLE SIDE DISHES
- Gluten Free & Paleo Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Creamy Coconut Millet
- Curried Cauliflower Couscous Salad
- Easy Keto Coconut Kale
- Asparagus Mac & Cheese
A vibrant and healthy alternative to traditional mashed potatoes. This Purple Mashed Sweet Potato side dish is high in vitamins A and C. You will get a creamy, rich flavor you’ll love without the creamy and extra calories.
- 2 lbs. purple sweet potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- ½ tsp seal salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- Peel the sweet potato and medium dice. Add to a medium pot. Fill with water till just above the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then down to a medium rolling bowl till the potatoes are soft when pricked with a fork (about 5-10 minutes).
- Drain potatoes, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In your high-speed blender or food processor, add 2 cloves of garlic and mince. Add potatoes, ghee, sea salt, white pepper and ¼ c of the reserve water. Puree, adding water ¼ cup at a time till you get desired consistency. Enjoy immediately or store in a glass airtight container for up to 5 days.
Make this dish vegan and dairy free with olive oil or coconut oil in place of the ghee.
Keywords: sweet potato, purple sweet potato, mashed potato, holiday side dish, thanksgiving side dish, ghee, white pepper, paleo mashed potatoes, keto mashed potatoes, whole30 mashed potatoes