Paleo Root Vegetable Mashed Potatoes
The most delicious mashed potatoes you have ever had. Try this healthy root vegetable mash with white sweet potato, parsnip, ghee, white pepper and sea salt.
This recipe is different than traditional mashed potatoes, as it does not use milk or cream. Use the liquid the vegetables are cooked in plus the healthy ghee to create a creamy finish.
FOR ROOT VEGETABLE MASHED POTATO RECIPE YOU WILL NEED
- White sweet potatoes (white tan skin, white flesh)
- Garlic clove
- White pepper
- Sea salt
To make this recipe, you will also need a food processor or high speed blender. The food processor such as a Cuisinart will give you a chunky finish. A high speed blender, such as a Vitamix will give you a smooth finish.
WHAT IS GHEE?
Ghee is cooked butter at a low temperature over a long period of time. As the butter and milk solids cook, they create a nutty flavor.
Ghee is traditionally used in Indian and Ayurvedic cooking. Ghee supports weight loss, improves digestions, reduces inflammation, and is a healthy fat to support brain health.
IF YOU LIKE THIS ROOT VEGETABLE SIDE DISH, TRY THE FOLLOWING
- Healthy Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Spicy Crispy Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Rainbow Carrots Recipe
- Roasted Kabocha Squash Spears
- Simple Roasted Radishes
Try this healthy root vegetable mashed potato dish made with white sweet potatoes, parsnips, ghee, white pepper and sea salt.
- 1 lb white sweet potato
- 1 lb parsnips (4–5 parsnips)
- 1/2 cup reserved water from cooked parsnips or sweet potato
- 1–2 garlic cloves
- 2–3 TBSP ghee
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Peel white sweet potato. Diced it into medium cubes. Add to a medium pot, cover with water, bring to a boil. Cook till potatoes are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Diced parsnips into medium sized pieces. Add to a medium pot, cover with water, bring to a boil. Cook till potatoes are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of water from cooked sweet potatoes or parsnip.
- Drain sweet potatoes and parsnips. Add to high speed blender or Cuisinart. Add 1/4 cup of water, garlic, ghee, sea salt and white pepper. Blend till smooth. Add more water if too thick.
- Serve immediately. Store in air-high container in the fridge for up to 1 week for meal prep.
You can make this recipe with any root vegetable. Try combining celery root, white sweet potato or parsnip together for a great take on mashed potatoes.
Keywords: root vegetable, paleo mashed potatoes, root vegetable mash, parsnip mashed potatoes, sweet potato mashed potatoes