Big Italian Green Salad
All the items you love in a classic Italian antipasto salad. I paired this with a healthy oregano and olive oil-based vinaigrette like an Italian grandmother would.
This chef driven salad was designed to be hearty enough to be enjoyed as a main course for lunch, or served as a small side salad for an al fresco dinner.
A SALAD FOR MEAL PREP
I created this salad for my Vegetarian clients who love a vegetable packed salad that is healthy, delicious and filling.
When preparing a plant-based salad, it is important to make it balanced. A well-balanced salad with all the flavor profiles, protein and fat will make your palate satisfied and full. You should be nourished for 3-5 hours, not needing to graze in the pantry an hour later.
A TRADITIONAL ITALIAN SALAD
Part green salad, part antipasto. This recipe layers greens, vegetables and salty, pickled condiments for that authentic taste.
MAKE IT VEGETARIAN
Sometimes you’ll order this type of salad and it will come salami, pancetta, or another type of pork sausage.
With that in mind, I substituted the cured meats for a hard-boiled egg for added protein. Feel free to swap for a runny egg or no egg at all.
PERSONALIZE THIS SALAD
I adjust the salad ingredients for my client’s preferences. Feel free to swap any of the ingredients to what your taste buds prefer. Try the following:
- Green olives
- Artichoke hearts
- Sliced turkey
- Slicked chicken breast
What makes this salad beautiful and pleasing to the eye is the balance of colored greens. Don’t skip the combination of light green romaine, dark green spinach, with pink, red and white radicchio.
Remember to add extra parmesan flakes and parsley for garnish.
Be sure to use the large, wide flakes of parmesan versus shredded parmesan. You’ll taste the difference. Using this style of parmesan will make it taste like that amazing salad you have when you eat out in Little Italy.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, TRY THE FOLLOWING
- My Go-To Spring Salad
- Cilantro Avocado Dressing
- Grilled Corn Mexican Salad
- Citrus Green Lentils
- Whipped Balsamic Vinaigrette
Italian Green Salad
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: Healthy
Part big green salad, party satisfying antipasto. This healthy layered salad works great as an entree or meal prep meal. Or serve smaller portions as an appetizer for a dinner party.
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 romaine lettuce (or 2 romaine hearts)
- 1 radicchio, small
- 3 c spinach, packed
- 1 c pitted black olives, medium
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced thin
- 2 c cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 c garbanzo beans
- 1 cup parmesan shavings, large and wide
- ½ cup peppercini’s, sliced
- ½ cup Italian flat leaf parsley, rough chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs
FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 tsp old style grain mustard
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper
- ¼ c red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the dressing. Add all ingredients in a jar or small bowl. Shake or mix well. Set aside.
- Chop romaine and radicchio into 1-inch bite size. Add to a large salad bowl and toss with spinach.
- Layer the additional ingredients on top of the lettuce, including the olives, red onion, cherry tomatoes, garbanzo beans, parmesan, peppercini’s, and parsley. Toss well.
- Add ¼ cup of the dressing. Toss and add additional dressing to taste. Serve in 4 bowls. Garnish with extra parmesan, parsley and hard boiled eggs.
- Add extra parmesan flakes and parsley for garnish.
- Be sure to use the large, wide flakes of parmesan versus shredded parmesan. You’ll taste the difference.
Keywords: italian salad, vegetarian salad, antipasto salad, green salad, italian green salad, vegetarian italian salad, big green salad, big italian salad, garbanzo salad
Thank you for reading. Follow Starseed Kitchen on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for more Starseed Kitchen inspiration.
Leave a Reply