A great salad for a dinner party or your weekly meal prep. Butter lettuce layered with black lentils, cherry tomatoes, diced cucumbers, fresh herbs and a magical smoky blue cheese dressing.
FOR THE DRESSING
- ¼ c white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ medium shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp water
- ¼ cup smoked olive oil, such as Sonoma Smoked
- ¼ cup organic crumbled blue cheese
FOR THE SALAD
- 2 heads butter lettuce (or 2 bags of pre-washed)
- ½ small head of radicchio
- 2 cups cooked blacked lentils
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 medium ripe Haas avocado, cubed
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, de-seeded and small diced
- ¼ red onion, sliced thin or use a mandolin
- 4 red radishes, sliced thin or use a mandolin
- ½ cup fresh, flat leaf parsley leaves
- ½ cup fresh basil, chiffonade into 1/2 inch piece
- Additional blue cheese and black pepper to garnish
- For the dressing. Add the white wine vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, sea salt, pepper, and water to the blender. Blend on high till shallot and garlic are incorporated. Slowly drizzle in smoked olive oil. Add blue cheese and pulse till incorporated but still chunky. Set aside.
- Tear butter lettuce and radicchio into bite size pieces and add to a large bowl. Add sliced tomatoes, diced cucumbers, radish, parsley, basil. Toss lightly with dressing. Distribute into 4 salad bowls.
- Top each salad with ½ cup lentils, diced avocado, and additional blue cheese crumble to garnish. Top with additional parsley and basil as desired.
If you have a mandolin, shave your red onion on the mini, or most thin setting. Mandolin the red radishes as well. If the taste of red onion is too sharp for you, soak in water for 20 minutes before adding to the salad.
Keywords: butter lettuce salad, bib lettuce salad, boston lettuce salad, lentil salad with blue cheese, blue cheese vinaigrette, smoky blue cheese dressing, smoky blue cheese vinaigrette, healthy blue cheese dressing