EP 28 All About Beef: Where Your Meat Comes From & Butcher Shop Basics With Danny DeMarco
Danny DeMarco is from a mid-west Italian family. Food has always been the focal point of family gatherings and traditional Sunday night dinners, which lead to him working in the food and beverage industry.
At the age of 21, Danny started working at BevMo and was the beer and wine buyer. In 2011, he started working in a butcher shop and went through a butcher apprentice program. He started as an entry level butcher and worked his way up to lead butcher, meat manager, and later General Manager.
Danny opened his own BBQ franchise and ran 5 stores. He missed the meat industry and came back to The Butchery as the General Manager of the Crystal Cove, Newport Coast. He now serves as the General Manager for The Butchery Quality Meats in Costa Mesa, the busiest location of the franchise.
- What is the difference between buying meat from a grocery store versus a butcher shop
- Where is the meat at a grocery store coming from, versus that at a butcher shop
- What are the benefits of going to a store that just sells meat
- Are there parts of the cow that are healthier to eat than others
- How do butchery shops choose the farms they work with
- Grass finished meats versus organic meats
- What is the life cycle of steaks and meat that are sold pre-sliced and in plastic wrap
- What do all those beef labels mean?
- What is Choice versus Prime
- What do you need to know to make buying meat at a butcher shop easier and less stressful