EP 26 The Honest Carnivore, A One-Of-A-Kind Meat School & Community With Liz Riffle
The Honest Carnivore was founded by Liz Riffle, the owner of Riffle Farm, a grass-fed and finished bison farm in West Virginia. Liz is an animal lover first and foremost, and an agent for the natural community. She is committed to honest meat and changing the current meat processing system our nation relies on.
The Honest Carnivore is a part of a growing movement called A Meat Collective.
A Meat Collective is a one-of-a-kind meat school and community resource that offers hands-on classes to consumers in whole-animal butchery, cookery, and charcuterie, as well as on-farm slaughter.
For each Meat Collective class, local farmers sell whole animals to students who in turn learn from seasoned butchers and chefs how to transform a whole carcass into food. Students go home with a lot of good, clean, fair meat and increasingly rare knowledge.
Chefs and butchers share their craft. And farmers sell directly to consumers who support humane and sustainable farming practices. The result? A growing community of informed omnivores who are inspired to eat meat more responsibly and to support a more responsible meat production system.
- What is The Honest Carnivore
- The role of bison and animals in creating healthy top soil
- The importance of learning the cycle of creating healthy land and soil
- Hands on classes in animal harvesting, carcass prep and cooking
- The growing movement to humanely process animals
- How do you find butchers, chefs and farmers with these specialty skills to teach you what you need to know about grass finished meats
- Healthy cuts of meat you just can’t get in the grocery store or at a butcher