EP 21 Everything You Need To Know About Buying Sustainable Seafood
What do you need to know when buying seafood and shellfish? Here are chef tips on how to purchase fresh, healthy, sustainable, good quality fish and seafood.
Chris Martin has been working with meat and fish for 20 years. He has worked in leadership positions and as a trainer in both meat and seafood for several companies including: Ralphs, Stater Brothers, Albertsons, The Meat House and several Whole Foods Markets.
Chris is an expert in helping you understand how to order fish and where it comes from.
Prior to working in the Grocery Retail Business he was a teacher. He has taught all levels from preschool to Jr. College.
Chris is currently the Seafood Department Manager at a well known health food grocery store in Southern California.
- What do we as customers need to know to better order fish at the grocery store
- How fresh is our seafood
- Why you should never ask for ‘fresh fish’
- How many days pass from the catch to the grocery store
- What is the difference between farmed fish and wild fish
- What are other labels on seafood we need to know
- What labels are just marketing and should be ignored
- Should we be eating fish and shellfish seasonally
- What isn’t popular that we should be eating more of
- Who is making all the prepared fish items you see in the case at the grocery store
- Food waste? What is happening to the fish on the last day it’s good to eat