Healthy white cheddar mac and cheese with green chard for hidden veggies. Made with cassava flour for a gluten free cheese sauce. Works with any type of pasta, from traditional durum wheat to quinoa pasta.
For the Pasta
- 5 cups of gluten free, brown rice or quinoa pasta (two 8 oz boxes)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Organic unsalted butter, for the dish
For the Cheese Sauce
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) organic unsalted butter
- ½ cup organic cassava flour
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 cups organic whole milk
- 4 cups organic grated sharp white cheddar
- 2 bunches of green chard, chopped and blanched in salted water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a traditional 15” x 10” rectangular casserole dish or similar baking dish.
- Follow cooking directions for the pasta shells according to the brand you purchase. If using gluten free, brown rice or quinoa pasta, under cook by 3 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop and blanch the chard in salty water.
- Prepare the cheese sauce by melting 1 stick of butter in a medium sauce pot. Using spatula, stir in the flour and salt, over medium heat. Stir till flour is fully incorporated and let cook for about 3 minutes, letting the flour and butter slightly brown.
- Slowly whisk in 2 cups of milk till fully incorporated, then the remaining 2 cups. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, until the cheese sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Using a spatula, stir in the cheese until it is melted and turn of the heat. Add the drained pasta to the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly. Then add the chard and stir till fully incorporated.
- Bake for 15 minutes. To brown the cheese for a crispy top, place under the broiler for 1-4 minutes depending on your oven settings.
Keywords: mac and cheese with vegetables, macaroni and cheese with vegetables, gluten free mac and cheese, mac and cheese with cassava flour, white cheddar macaroni and cheese, baked mac and cheese recipe, macaroni and cheese with chard, macaroni and cheese with spinach