Traditional ayurveda kitchari, a healing, detoxing and nourishing recipe with lentils, rice, vegetables, anti-inflammatory spices.
- 1 cup organic red lentils
- 1/2 cup organic white rice (long grain preferred)
- 3 Tbsp ghee of coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp minced or grated ginger
- 2 t ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 6 cups vegetable stock, chicken bone broth or water
- 1–2 zucchini, shredded
- 1 small cauliflower, rough chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- Radish for garnish
- Rinse the lentils and rice under cold water until the water runs clear.
- In a large pot, melt the ghee of coconut oil on low heat. Add the ginger for 30 seconds and let activate. Add all the spices and stir into the oil.
- Add the rinsed lentils and rice, stirring to mix with the spices. Add broth. Bring to a boil, down to a simmer, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add cauliflower and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and spinach, stir to combine. Serve with fresh cilantro. Enjoy.
Measure out all your spices and add to a small bowl. Then add them all to the warm pot with coconut oil and ginger. It will make the cooking process easier.
You can make this recipe with yellow lentils as well. They take an additional 10 minutes to cook.
Swap vegetables to what you have available organically and seasonally.
This dish is easy to reheat on the stove. Add to a small pot with a little water. Simmer, stirring frequently, till warm.
Keywords: ayurveda, ayurvedic, kitchari, kitchari recipe, kitchari bowl