Gluten-free, grain-free cornbread with cassava flour. Jalapeño, fire roasted corn kernels, and a cast iron skillet insures you get all the flavor you love from traditional corn bread.
- 1 ¼ cups ground cornmeal (cornmeal flour)
- ¾ cup cassava flour
- 2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and small diced
- ¾ cup fire roasted corn kernels
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place 9-inch cast iron skillet inside to heat while you make the batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, buttermilk, eggs, jalapeno and ½ cup of the roasted corn. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix till incorporated.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Add butter to skillet and let melt. Mix melted butter into the batter, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the skillet.
- Add batter into the skillet and spread evenly. Bake until the center is firm, and the edges are brown and crispy, 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cook for 10 to 15 minutes and serve.
- If you don’t have cassava flour, substitute with a gluten-free flour blend or organic all-purpose flour.
- Serve with room temperature organic butter and honey.
Keywords: cornbread, cast iron skillet cornbread, gluten free cornbread, grain free cornbread, cassava flour cornbread, healthyish cornbread, jalapeño cast iron skillet cornbread, fire roasted cornbread, paleo cornbread, keto cornbread