This classic American Chef’s Salad has carrots, radish, avocado, and Jack cheese. Fresh sprouts and sunflower seeds make this recipe a balanced meal to enjoy for lunch or dinner.
- 4 cups Boston lettuce (bib lettuce or butter lettuce)
- 2 cups fresh spinach or baby kale
- 3 carrots, matchstick (about 1 cup)
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sprouts
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, diced into chunks
- ½ cup roasted & salted sunflower seeds
- Homemade Buttermilk Dressing
- Start by making the Buttermilk Dressing. Chill for 30 minutes to set the flavor. Will the dressing is in the fridge, start on the salad.
- In a large salad bowl, combine Boston lettuce and spinach. Add matchstick carrots, slivered radish, sprouts and shredded jack cheese.
- Add ¼ – ½ cup of dressing and toss well to combine. Add more dressing to taste. Serve into 4 salad bowls. Top with sunflower seeds and avocado. Enjoy.
This salad stores well for 5-7 days for meal prep.
Don’t know how to matchstick carrots? Use a mandolin or sliced carrots in half moons for the same texture.
Chicken pairs well for this salad if you would like added protein.
Keywords: picture of chef salad, chef salad pictures, california salads, how to make a chef salad, salad with cheese