Vibrant, thick & delicious yellow curry made with chickpeas, red lentils, spinach & coconut milk.
- 3 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil
- 2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced in half moons
- 2 heads of garlic, top third removed
- 1 3“piece of fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced, julienned
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, drained (or 2 cans)
- 2 13.5-oz. cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups split red lentils
- 4 cups of spinach
- Cilantro and large toasted coconut flakes for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot (I use an enamel Dutch oven) over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, cut side down, and ginger. Stir occasionally until onions are translucent and garlic is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add curry powder and cayenne, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add chickpeas and 5 cups of water, stirring to release any bits stuck on the bottom of the pot. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt. Bring to a simmer, cover with lid leaving it slightly askew so steam can escape. Cook, adjusting heat to maintain a gentle simmer, until chickpeas have swelled 50 percent in size but are still crunchy, 25-30 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and lentils to pot, season with remaining salt. Return to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until chickpeas are tender and lentils have broken down to form a thick stew, 30-35 minutes.
- Stir in spinach until wilted. Taste and season with more salt to taste. Ladle into bowl and garnish with cilantro as desired.
Serve with cilantro, large toasted coconut flakes & brown rice for a balanced, nourishing meal.
Keywords: coconut ginger chickpea curry, garbanzo bean curry, chickpea curry, coconut curry, ginger curry, healthy curry, yellow curry, coconut chickpea curry, vegetarian chickpea curry, chickpea stew, chickpea soup