This is a thick, hearty soup with smoky and spicy undertones. Make this soup Vegan by excluding the parmesan,
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced (1 cup)
- 2 carrots, quartered (1 cup)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 t ancho chili pepper
- 1 14.5-oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 ½ cups white beans (2 14-oz cans)
- 5 cups chicken bone broth or vegetable broth
- 1 bunch fresh thyme (8–10 stems)
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 large bunch of collard greens (8–10 leaves), chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup shredded parmesan to garnish
- In a large sauce pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and carrot, ¼ teaspoon of sea salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, till vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika and ancho chili powder, and stir to active for about 30 seconds. Add the broth, tomatoes, thyme, white pepper and remaining sea salt. Simmer for 5 minutes so ingredients blossom.
- Remove the fresh thyme stems. Remove any thyme leaves still remaining on the stems, into the soup. Add the white beans.
- Transfer 2 cups of the soup, including the solids, to a high-speed blender and blend till smooth. Return the puree to the soup pot, add the collard greens. Simmer for another 5 minutes, till greens are soft and fully wilted. Stir in ½ cup shredded parmesan, reserving the rest for garnish. Add more salt and pepper as desired.
Like more broth in your soup? Add an extra cup with preparing this soup.
Keywords: Smoky White Bean & Collard Greens Soup, white bean soup, vegan bean soup, collard greens soup, smoky white bean soup, spicy white bean soup