Looking for a breakfast alternative to oatmeal? Amaranth is a protein and fiber rich breakfast alternative that is ready in 15 minutes.
- 1 cup amaranth
- 2 TBSP flax seeds
- 2 cups water
- ½ bunch of fresh spinach, or two generous handfuls of baby spinach
- Drizzle of organic, extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of flaked sea salt
- Add amaranth, flax seeds and water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally till water is absorbed.
- While amaranth is cooking, blanch the spinach. Add water and a generous pinch of salt to a small pot and bring to a boil. Add the spinach and immediately drain.
- Assemble your savory breakfast bowl by adding a half of the amaranth porridge and blanched spinach. Top with a generous drizzle of olive oil and pinch of flaked sea salt.
Make a double batch for breakfast meal prep. The porridge is delicious hot or cold.
You can swap the whole flax seeds for chia seeds.
Cooked amaranth holds well in the fridge for one week.
Keywords: oatmeal alternative, cereal alternative, gluten free breakfast ideas, savory breakfast bowl, amaranth for breakfast, how to cook amaranth, amaranth bowl, ancient grain bowl, gluten free grain bowl, gluten free breakfast ideas