An easy, healthy minestrone soup, packed with hearty vegetables. Great for Vegans, Vegetarians, Paleo and Gluten-Free eaters.
FOR THE SOUP
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, medium diced
- 2 cups carrots, quartered into half-moons (3–4 carrots)
- 2 cups celery, small diced (3 stalks)
- 2–2 ½ cups small diced butternut squash (bite size)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 14-oz cans of diced, chopped tomatoes
- 5 to 6 cups of vegetable broth or chicken bone broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 14-oz can of white beans (such as cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- ½ cup organic or bio-dynamic white wine, such as Fred’s
FOR THE QUICK PESTO
- 1 large box of fresh organic basil
- 3–4 garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes till they start to soften. Add carrots, celery, squash, garlic and thyme. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, 5 cups of the broth, bay leaf, sea salt, black pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Discard the bay leaf. Add beans and spinach, till warmed through and wilted.
- Store in an airtight glass containers for 7 days in the fridge. Store in freezer for up to 6 months.
- When preparing the carrots, celery and butternut squash, try and dice them to resemble the same size. Small enough that you could fit two different vegetables on a soup spoon for a moderate bite.
- Short on time? Then pick up a small batch of fresh store bought pesto. Reach for one the refrigerator section. No judgement, we’ve all been there. Do what works for you and don’t stress about it.
Keywords: minestrone soup, winter soup, winter minestrone soup, rustic soup, butternut squash soup, quick pesto, vegan pesto, rustic minestrone, healthy minestrone, white bean minestrone