Lentils are full of vitamin B and are a great source of protein and iron. They are a great source of all the nutrients that support healthy skin, hair and nails.
Consider the little lentil your plant-based beauty super food.
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion
- 6 carrots, half-mooned (about 3 cups chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can diced, crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken bone broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups fresh spinach, packed
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and stir till softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the carrots, and cook for another 2 minutes. Then add the garlic, ginger and spices, stirring to activate and coast all the vegetables.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Add the lentils, stir to break up any clumps, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the carrots have softened.
- Stir in the spinach, a pinch of lemon juice to taste, and additional sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Substitute spinach for other leafy greens such as chard, collards, kale, or beet greens.
Keywords: red lentil soup, carrot soup, fall soup, winter soup, lentil soup, hearty soup, lentil and spinach soup, lentil and carrot soup