Radicchio and salad greens tossed with shaved golden beets, pickled red onion and topped with warm barley and pistachios.
Enjoy this hearty and vibrant grain bowl meets salad with a creamy tarragon dressing.
FOR THE PICKLED RED ONION
- 1 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced in half moons
FOR THE DRESSING
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 cup of whole, plain yogurt (or 1 single serving container)
- 1 clove garlic
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 small head of radicchio, leaves roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups of Organic Girl Super Greens (or 2 cups of spinach and 2 cups of arugula)
- 2 medium golden beets, shaved on mandolin on the thinnest setting
- ½ cup roughly chopped pistachios
- 4 hardboiled eggs, cut in half
- 1 cup of pearl barley, cooked according to package directions
- First make the pickled beets. Add the vinegar, water, mustard, salt and pepper to a large jar. Shake well till the mustard is emulsified with the liquid. Add the red onion. Shake well and let sit on the counter for 1 hour. Then store in the refrigerator up to one month.
- Prepare one cup of barley. Wash thoroughly and follow the directions on the supplier’s package. I prefer the quality, texture and flavor of Bob’s Red Mill pearl barley. Once the barley has finished cooking, leave covered, sitting on the stove so it remains warm.
- Hard-boil your eggs. Add 4 eggs to a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 10 minutes. Drain water and let cool before peeling. Once cool to the touch, remove shell and carefully slice in half.
- Make the dressing by combining the tarragon, yogurt, garlic, lemon zest and juice in a blender. Blend on low, slowly adding the olive oil till the tarragon is minced and the oil is emulsified.
- Lastly, prepare your vegetables and salad greens. Slice radicchio in quarters, remove the thick core and rough chop into medium bite sized pieces. Toss in a salad bowl with Super Greens. Using a mandolin, slice the golden beets on the thinnest setting possible. Separate beets and toss in the salad greens. Roughly chop pistachios and set aside.
- To serve, toss salad greens and beets well with the dressing. Divide among 4 to 6 bowls. Add ½ cup of warm barley onto each salad. Using a fork, remove some of the pickled red onions from the jar. Add approximately 1/8 of a cup of the pickled red onion to each plate. Top grains with chopped pistachios and two halves of a hard-boiled egg. Enjoy immediately.
For my vegan clients I make the salad dressing using cashew, almond or coconut based yogurt.
Don’t have time for pickled red onions? Used thinly sliced red onion, shaved on the mandolin like the beets, then sliced into half moons.
Keywords: plant based salad, healthy salad, warm grain bowl, plant based recipe, vegetarian recipe, spring salad, grain bowl, spring grain bowl, spring golden beet salad, spring grain bowl with barley, spring grain bowl with beets, spring grain bowl with pistachios