A healthy and easy way to cook your turkey for Thanksgiving and the holiday season.
- 1 spatchcock brined turkey
- 6 Tbsp organic butter, room temperature
- 2 sprigs rosemary, plus additional for cooking
- 6–8 sprigs thyme, plus additional for cooking
- 2 Tbsp organic turkey, poultry or herb spice rub
- fresh sage, optional
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced in half
- 3–4 celery sticks
- 2 carrots
- Stainless steel baking sheet
- Filtered water
- Remove turkey from citrus brine. Place on stainless steel baking sheet. Pat dry. Let sit out at room temperature for 1 hour prior to cooking.
- Make herb butter. Mince rosemary. Remove thyme leaves from stem. Mix into butter. Rub all over turkey, then place under the skin throughout.
- Season turkey skin with 2 tablespoons of an organic turkey, poultry or herb spice rub.
- Place onion, celery, carrots and remaining fresh herbs under the turkey carcus. This helps with the turkey not sticking to the pan and adds additional flavor.
- Preheat grill till temperature is 500 degrees (about 15 minutes). Place turkey on baking sheet on the grill. Add 2 cups of water or more to baking sheet, so the sheet is fully covered with water. Close grill and lower temperature to lowest setting, so the grill drops to 400 degrees.
- Every 30 minutes, check the water in the baking sheet. Baste by spooning liquid on baking sheet on the turkey. Add additional water as needed. Cook turkey for 2 1/2 hours for a 22 pound turkey and up. After 2 1/2 hours, turn off grill and let the turkey sit for 15 minutes with lid closed. Follow the cooking time guide in notes.
- Remove turkey from grill and let cool 15 minutes. Slice into turkey and enjoy.
Adjust your cooking time for grilled spatchcock turkey for the size of your bird:
- 1 1/2 hours for 10-12 pound turkey
- 2 hours for 14-16 pound turkey
Keywords: grilled turkey, spatchcock, spatchcock turkey, grilled turkey recipe, health turkey recipe, brined turkey recipe