The secret to making a yellow curry dish green is your blender. By taking a bit of the coconut milk broth and a cup of spinach, you can transform the color of your dish.
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium diced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp seal salt
- 3 ½ cups water
- 2 14-oz can organic coconut milk
- ½ cup red lentils
- ½ cup green lentils
- 2 bunches Dino flat leaf kale, chopped into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- In a large pot over medium heat, add onion and garlic. Adjust the heat to low and allow to cook till onions are soft and just beginning to look translucent, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, mustard seeds, turmeric, coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes and sea salt. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add water, coconut milk, lentils, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 40 to 50 minutes, until the lentils have broken down. Stir once or twice to prevent lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add 1 cup of spinach to a high-speed blender. Ladle 1 cup of liquid from the pot into the blender (trying not to get any lentils). Blend on high till liquid turns green. Poor into the pot and stir well till the yellow curry becomes green.
- Stir in the kale till wilted. Season with additional salt if preferred and serve with rice if desired. Enjoy.
Keywords: dinner, curry, soup, green lentil curry, lentil green curry, curry green lentils, curried lentils, green curried lentils, kale curry, curry with kale