This is healthy comfort food. A balance of pasta, vegetables and cheese. An quick and easy meal that is great for meal prep or when you don’t want to make a trip to the grocery store.
- 2 ½ cups organic penne or gluten-free penne pasta
- 1 bunch red chard
- 2 Tbsp and 1 tsp of sea salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 large zucchini, quartered
- 2 yellow crookneck squash, quartered
- 1 ½ cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 cups organic marinara sauce
- 2–3 cups shredded organic mozzarella
- 15 oz ricotta cheese (1 container)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare pasta according to directions. For alternative pastas, undercook them by 3-4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, blanch the red chard. Bring 4 cups of water and 2 tablespoons sea salt to a boil. Chop red chard into 1-inch pieces, including the stems. Add to boiling water and immediately drain. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan, add zucchini and squash and sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, sea salt and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the penne pasta and marinara sauce. Add the vegetables, basil and half the mozzarella, mix well. Poor into a large baking dish. Create 6 wells. Scoop in the ricotta cheese evenly amongst the 6 wells. Top with remaining mozzarella. Bake 15 minutes, till the cheese is melted and browning.
- When using gluten-free, brown rice, quinoa, lentil and chickpea pasta, remember to undercook. Cook the pasta 3-5 minutes under the recommended time. The pasta will finish cooking when you bake the dish.
- Substitute the vegetables with others you may have on hand such as eggplant, spinach, and broccoli.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes and fresh basil as desired
Keywords: baked penne pasta, baked penne pasta with vegetables, baked penne with zucchini, baked pasta with mozzarella, baked pasta with ricotta cheese, baked pasta with spinach, easy baked pasta, easy pasta bake, what to do with penne pasta