Extra thick, hearty and vegetable packed White Bean Chili is easy to make with earthy herbs and spices of fresh oregano and cumin.
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, medium diced
- 3 carrots, quartered (2 cups)
- 4 celery ribs, diced (2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 15-oz cans white cannellini beans (3 ½ cups) drained and rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup uncooked white quinoa, rinsed
- 1 bunch Lacinato (Dino) kale, stems trimmed, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft (about 8-10 minutes). Add cumin and sea salt to activate (30 seconds).
- Add broth, bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Trim 3 inches off the ends of the kale and discard, Chop kale and remaining stems into 1-inch pieces. Stir in kale and quinoa. Cover and simmer till quinoa is cook through, 15 minutes.
- Stir in oregano. Garnish with extra virgin olive oil to serve.
- Trim 2-3 inches off the ends of the kale and discard. Chop the remaining stems into ½ -inch pieces, and the leaves into 1-inch pieces.
- The stems will soften while cooking and make for great texture in the chili. Plus they are full of fiber and vitamin K.
Keywords: Vegetarian Chili, Vegan Chili, white bean chili, plant based chili, white bean soup, quinoa chili, quinoa soup, kale chili, healthy chili