A light, vibrant salad, side dish or plant based protein that satisfies even the pickiest healthy eaters.
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 5–6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 smashed garlic clove
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 mandarin orange, zest and juice
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, rough chopped
- Wash lentils in a fine mesh strainer. In a medium pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add rinsed lentils, bay leaf, thyme and garlic. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, add the lemon juice and zest, mandarin juice and zest, olive oil and sea salt to a medium bowl. Drain lentils and add to bowl, stirring till all the lentils are well covered in the marinade. Set aside to cool. The lentils will absorb the liquid.
- Toss with fresh parsley. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
In place of a mandarin orange, you can use a satsuma, a cutie, tangerine or half a naval or Valencia orange.
Keywords: citrus green lentils, lentil salad, green lentil salad, citrus lentil salad, greek lentils, mediterranean lentil salad, vegan lentil salad, vegetarian lentil salad, plant based lentil salad