Iron up with this plant-based protein packed salad filled with celery, fresh mint, feta and pomegranates.
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 cup black lentils
- 2 cups bone broth or vegetable broth
- Fresh thyme, 6-8 sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup diced celery (about 2–3 ribs)
- 1 cup celery leaves
- ½ cup mint, rough chopped
- ½ cup parsley, rough chopped
- 4 oz crumbled feta (about ½ a block)
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 cups of baby arugula
FOR THE DRESSING
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ a small shallot, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Add 2 cups of broth and 2 cups of water to a medium pot with lid. Bring to a simmer. Wash lentils in a sieve. Drain, and add to simmering water. Let water come back to a simmer. Partially cover pot with lid and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain lentils, discard thyme stems and add to a medium mixing bowl.
- While lentils are cooking, prepare the dressing. Add all ingredients to a small jar. Shake well to emulsify. Add half the dressing to the warm lentils. Stir well. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare celery by slicing into small, ¼ inch bite size pieces. Once lentils have cooled, add celery, celery leaves, mint, parsley, feta, and half the pomegranates. Toss well.
- Add additional dressing to taste. Serve over baby arugula leaves.
I cook my lentils and all my beans and legumes with a bay leaf. This helps with digestion and adds a subtle, earthy flavor.
Keywords: salad, salads, lentil salad, vegan salad, vegetarian salad, plant based salad, protein salad, iron salad, vegetarian holiday side, vegetarian holiday salad