Healthy baked enchiladas stuffed with black beans, spinach & kale, smothered in a homemade smoky red enchilada sauce.
Serve with a drizzle of cashew lime crema, avocado, pepitas and fresh cilantro.
FOR THE ENCHILADAS
- 8 organic flour or cassava tortillas (7-8-inch small tortillas)
- 1 can organic black beans
- 1 can organic refried black beans with jalapeno
- 2 bunch flat-leaf Dino kale (4 cups packed)
- 5-oz spinach (1 box or bag)
- 1 ½ cups organic sharp cheddar cheese (white cheddar), shredded
- Smoky enchilada sauce
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ½ bunch cilantro
FOR THE CASHEW LIME CREMA
- 1 ½ cups of raw cashew pieces
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cups warm water
- Juice & zest of half a lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a rectangle casserole dish with olive oil.
- First make the enchilada sauce in the blender. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil with 2 tablespoons of salt. Prepare the colander in the sink, adding all the fresh spinach in it. Chop kale into 2-inch pieces, discard the thick ends. Once water is boiling, blanch kale. Add to boiling water, making sure all leaves are wilted, and immediately drain in a colander, over the spinach. Toss colander with spinach and kale to drain of excess water and mix the greens.
- Drain and wash whole black beans and pat dry. Add to a bowl, along with the refried black beans. Stir till both types of beans are mixed together. Start building your enchiladas by spreading 1/8 of the bean mixture on one side of the tortilla. Top with spinach, kale and shredded cheese. Roll and add to the dish. Do this for all 8 tortillas, using all the beans, spinach, kale and cheese.
- Pour all enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas, covering every inch of the pan. Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes.
- While the enchiladas are baking, make the cashew crema. Add cashews, sea salt and warm water to a high-speed blender. Let sit for 5 minutes, then blend on high till incorporated. Stir in zest and juice of 1 lime.
- Remove enchiladas from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle with ½ of the cashew crema, pepitas and fresh cilantro. Serve with additional crema and avocado.
- If you are making a half batch of enchiladas, still use all the sauce if you like heavy sauce on your enchiladas.
- If you like the tips of your enchiladas a little crispy, bake for 30-35 minutes.
Keywords: black bean enchiladas, healthy enchiladas, spinach enchiladas, kale enchiladas, white cheddar enchiladas, cashew lime crema, smoky black bean enchiladas, vegan enchiladas, healthy enchiladas with red sauce