Grain-Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
These muffins are clean and delicious. Grain-free, Gluten-free, Nut-free, Lectin-free, Paleo, Refined Sugar-Free and so forth. So go ahead and indulge!
My mom loves a baked good with her morning coffee. It’s her weekend treat. I good scone, and hearty muffin, sometimes a well-made croissant. For Mother’s Day, I always indulge her by making a decadent breakfast out of the best quality ingredients I can find. Making the meal a little naughty and a little nice.
I’m not a natural baker. My speciality has always been vegetables and protein. I tend to stay away from baking as I know the results wouldn’t last a day in my house. These muffins turn out wonderfully as a breakfast items or afternoon snack. This recipe has been inspired by one from Otto’s Natural Cassava Flour.
If you’re a nut butter fan, these muffins pair well with a solid drizzle of crunchy raw almond butter. Enjoy.
Makes 12 muffins
¾ cup organic raw sugar (or equal parts coconut sugar/maple sugar)
½ cup organic butter or ghee, softened
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon & 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 ½ cups Otto’s Natural Cassava Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup coconut cream
2 tablespoons poppy seeds (or 1 box from Spicely)
2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
2 tablespoons hemp seeds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12-piece muffin pan with liners.
- In a small bowl, combine coconut cream and lemon juice. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter, until sugar is fully incorporated and consistency is fluffy. Add in the egg yolk and mix thoroughly. Then stir in lemon juice and zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine cassava flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add coconut milk mixture and flour the large bowl of sugar and butter. When mixed, stir in poppy seeds.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold into mixture. Fill 12 muffin cups with mixture evenly. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately garnish each muffin with ½ teaspoon of hemp seeds. Let cook for 5 minutes. Enjoy.
Whisk the egg whites in a metal bowl. That way the egg whites will stay cold, and you’ll get them to the stiff consistency faster.
Not in the mood to whisk? That’s when the mini 24-ounce Cuisinart food processor comes handy. They will whip up in no time. Or, use a hand immersion blender. Happy baking!