Hydrating & detoxifying chickpea celery soup with lemon, cilantro & Greek yogurt This soup recipe is extra hydrating. Delicious year round, it’s flavorful with a simple ingredient list.
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 1 bunch celery, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup celery leaves, packed (from 1 bunch of celery or 2 1/c cups diced)
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or chicken bone broth)
- 2 15 oz cans of chickpeas, drained & rinsed (or 3 cups of freshly cooked chickpeas)
- 1 tsp red chili oil
- 1 cup organic whole-milk Greek yogurt (or coconut-based yogurt)
- 1 cup of cilantro leaves, rough chop
- 1 lemon
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a soup pot over low heat. Add onion, stirring frequently till softened but not browned, 5 minutes. Add celery and garlic, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add stock, increase heat to medium-high heat, and bring to a boil, then down to a simmer. Add chickpeas and cook till beans are warmed through, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili oil and season with sea salt.
- Prepare soup garnishes by adding celery leaves and cilantro to a bowl, toss well. Separately mix Greek yogurt, juice and zest of 1 lemon. Set aside.
- Divide soup among bowls. Garnish with yogurt and sprinkle with celery and cilantro leaves. Enjoy.
- Choose bone broth or vegetable broth according to your dietary preferences, both work great. Additional, swap coconut yogurt for Greek if avoiding dairy.
- Add spinach for extra greens if desired.
Keywords: soup, detox, celery soup, detox soup, healthy soup, hydrating soup, healing soup, chickpea soup, celery chickpea soup