Bison Sausage & Sweet Potato Hash
I always enjoy a visit a health food store or natural market. I often joke that I enjoy a trip to a healthy grocery store like kids enjoy a visit to the iconic toy store FAO Schwarz. It is at these alternative markets where I find culinary inspiration.
I was inspired to make this dish when visiting Erewhon Market in Venice, California. Stopping in for breakfast sends all your senses into overload. They put out a beautiful display of warm and healthyish breakfast good for every diet and food allergy.
The dish that caught my attention was in a giant cast iron skillet. I liked the contrasting colors of the dark green kale and light orange butternut squash. That breakfast hash inspired this at home alternative.
1 lb Bison
3 Tablespoons of Breakfast Sausage Spice Mix
½ Red onion
1 Jewel Yam
1 bunch Dino kale
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
½-1 tsp Sea salt
½-1 tsp Coarse black pepper
- Prepare your ingredients for cooking. In a bowl, combine ground bison and spice mix. Set aside. Medium dice the red onion and set aside. Wash, peel and small dice the yam. Set aside. Wash and roughly chop the kale.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to your skillet. On a medium low temperature, sauté onions till translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add bison to pan and separate into bite size pieces. Turn heat up to medium and sauté for 3-4 minutes, till it is almost cooked through.
- Add the yams to the pan. Stir, incorporating the mixture. Add lid and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the kale, stir well and let kale cook and wilt for 3-4 minutes. Finish was sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Can’t find bison at your local market? Try this dish alternatively with dark turkey meat. Reach for the darker meat, as there will be more moisture when cooking and the texture will be more similar to traditional pork sausage. The white turkey meat tends to get dry and rubbery if over cooked.
Not a meat eater? This hash is just as delicious without the meat. The vegetables make a great side dish for any meal of the day.